Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Correction please!

I`ve recently discovered the simple pleasure of reading bizzare English sentences while grading papers. I teach five writing classes and in each I`ve set up a pretend pen pal exchange where I type up a letter from a made-up American high school student named Peter, pass them out and then the students write a letter to Peter covering the same content that Peter wrote about. We`ve covered topics like family, friends, home town, likes and dislikes ect... and, needless to say, things have been....lost in translation. Here are a few examples of my students` fine work. Imagine yourself with red pen in hand:

1. My best friend`s name is Ichiro. He is a great baseball player in the world.

Hmm, technically, that is true.

2. My classroom teacher is Mr. Kimura. We call him ``Kimura`` he have pasion. We love him. But, he love running than us. hollow.

Umm, should I report this?

3. I have many family and a little friend. I`m happy. Do you?

4. I`m so sorry. I have no friends, and family too. Because I love alone. I`m so sorry. ALL things is lie.

Well no wonder you love alone.

5. I love my town because it has a old chapel. Please tell me about your lover and your date plan.

An old chapel? How lewd.

6. And CRAZY friend Syuei is a baseball player. He like girl. He heir bouzu. He is alone. I think he is pity.

I once had a friend. He heir bouzu too. It was so sad.

7. My father works for a build house company. And my mom is a baby shitter.

Ooo, how much does she charge?

8. My father, Kei, works for a secret.

Shh...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From one teacher to another...that is hillarious! I find myself often having to hold back uncontrollable laughter while gradeing my first graders papers. Their creative spelling gets me everytime.
i love looking at your page and hearing about all you adventures! i was on it one day at school and i was showing some of my kids your pictures of japan and they thought it was wild.
i want to know how you buy groceries! i can't read any of that! i guess you learn ans adapt over a while but i am still having a hard time adapting to virginia.
i did get a job though! i finish student teaching december 8th and i graduate december 16th but i start teaching my very own kindergarten class on december 12th. apparently their teacher had a baby and they have been looking for a replacement. talk about good timeing. well talk to you soon. take care
erica

Anonymous said...

Matt,
You stopped by my blog today; Theology of Nuance.
I appreciate your post it was encouraging.

I have some kinship with your experiences in Japan.
I went to Ibaraki Christian University in 1989. It’s in Hitachi, a little way south of where you are. I lived with a family in Mito.
I did not have the “Blog” forum, so my letters home had to suffice, but they would make the rounds of friends and family.
I also wrote about the humor of interacting in the Japanese Culture.
I was a dual major while in college and my second major was Teaching English as a Second Language. I still lack 9 hours to receive that degree.
My plan was to move to Japan and get rich.
Things change, however.

You are likely already aware of the Ask A Ninja website, but if not, you should go by www.askaninja.com. It has some good insights.

God bless,
DSM

Anonymous said...

i always enjoy reading these (unintentionally) amusing sentences written by japanese students. (#4, however, is profoundly depressing.) i always wonder how in the world you guys "correct" these!

~christine (your neighbor's good 'ol pal =) )