Monday, December 18, 2006

M X V = GRR

One thing a blog is for is to vent, which is just a euphemism for whining. And that is exactly what I plan to do on this post, you`ve been warned.

While riding my bike to the station this morning I hit some ice. The next thing I know my hip and elbow hit pavement with the force of my mass times my acceleration, or some equation that equals the square root of a very bad morning. It was about 7:42, I had rolled out of bed at about 7:20 and was trying to catch a 7:47 train. And I'm from south Texas so I guess I wasn't in the right state of mind to look for ice on the road. So there I was, Monday morning, I had only been up for about 20 minutes and I was lying on a sheet of ice on a road in Ishinomaki, Japan looking at my toppled bike five yards in front of me with the wheel still spinning. I got up quick because a car was coming and started walking my bike to the station with a limp and no time to lose. That's when the self-pity starting coming on in waves.

...It wouldn`t have been so bad if I didn`t gash my arm and bruise my hip, which wouldn`t have been so bad if I didn`t have to walk over a mile to work from the station, which wouldn`t have been so bad if I didn`t miss breakfast because of the fall, which wouldn`t have been so bad if, during the walk, I didn`t have to brood over the fact that I ripped my brand new REI poly pro tops, which wouldn`t have been so bad if I didn`t rip my brand new button-up shirt, which wouldn`t have been so bad if I didn`t rip my brand new Aigle fleece-lined gloves, which wouldn`t have been so bad if I didn`t rip my brand new North Face jacket.

A man doesn't truly fall until he does so in his nicest clothes.

OK, thanks for listening, I feel better now. Thank God for blogs, but ice on pavement can go melt in hell.

6 comments:

Dave said...

turns out i fell off my bike yesterday too! i left my apartment at the usual time: when i have ten minutes to do a ten minute bike ride at full speed.

so anyway, about 7.39 (three full minutes before you fell) i saw a car, turned my bike just a little, and before i knew it was on the ground. luckily i my clothes were intact though...

Anonymous said...

nice math.

also, doesn't it make you wonder like.. these fools dont' wear helmets?!!? yet, i don't really hear that many reports of death by bike-riding. do you think there are coverups? or are drivers unusually polite? (or bikers awesome adept?)

anyway, quit your teenage whines and be a man. haha. be a man and give me your broken space suit. HOSHIESSS!!

daddy-o said...

It's not that you fall, it's how you give up.

daddy-o said...

Should be... how you GET up.

Anonymous said...

Matt, I know I have said this before but you never cease to amaze me. I absolutely LOVE reading your blogs. Actually, over the holiday I couldn't stop talking about how great they are. You should write a book or a travel column or something. I would definitely subscribe! I hope your Christmas turned out better. Happy New Year!

Matt said...

Megan,

Hey! It's great to hear from you, especially when what I hear is unabashed praise. Seriously though, thanks a lot for the encouragement. It means a lot to me as an English major whose only skill apart from self abasement is writing.

Anyways, I hope all is well. Say hello to Austin, Texas for me...sigh.

Matt

Thanks again for the encouraging words, if I ever become a writer it will be because of such support.