Saturday, September 09, 2006

I'm crazy about...

A day of class was devoted to learning the phrase "I'm crazy about...", which is strange in and of itself, but what made it funny was the example the textbook gave was "I'm crazy about Leonardo DiCaprio."

We do this thing in class called Chorus Reading where I read the example dialogue outloud in a very slow, clear, loud and sometimes sickeningly positive voice to get the students to repeat. So, here I am in class walking up and down the aisles practically yelling, "I'm crazy about Leonardo DiCaprio!" You'd be surprised, yelling that phrase at 40 Japanese high school students is a strangely cathartic experience, and after 14 classes you almost start to believe it...yeah, you know, maybe I am crazy about Leonardo DiCaprio, he was great in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. But if you think yelling it was strange, hearing 40 students yell that phrase back at you a few dozen times is what gave me the sudden urge to rent Titanic.

I wonder if there is a class of non-english speakers somewhere in the world yelling, "I'm crazy about Gary Busey"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually laughed out loud while reading this at work. It sounds like you are having a blast!