Thursday, September 21, 2006

Psst, what did you get for #4?

I came back to my desk after teaching a class to find a worksheet that accidentally made its way from a JTE's desk to mine. At the top of the page are directions in Japanese and below are ten sentences in English. I read number 1: Takashi likes the movie and then number 2: You play tennis. OK, this content seems normal and applicable enough...but I read on. Number 3: The storm damaged many houses in this neighborhood. Alright, it`s getting a little violent but its still reasonable; then I read number 4: The car kills my girlfriend.
I know I can`t survive for long in an English speaking country without these key phrases. But, apparently, even in survival English there can be casualties.

PS

JTE = Japanese Teacher of English

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha it still kills me (har get it?) that "kills" is in present tense rather than past as if this is a property of the car itself and not some fateful incident.

dude, the office hurts my heart.

Matt said...

Melvin! It's great to hear from you. I thought about you the other day, I'm learning a lot of Japanese and I thought about the birthday card you gave me with the Kanji. I wanted to see if I could read any of it, but I left it in the states...likely story, i know.

Well, I'm having a great time here but that doesn't stop me from getting nostalgic about LSE. I miss everyone and I miss that place.

I hope all is well, God bless.